Saturday, April 15, 2006

Paintings

Like an old loblolly pine, my paintings take forever to grow, spiraling and layering out. For example, Love and Magic (shown below) probably took thirty + hours of intense work to complete. I do not and will not ever create conveyor paintings to please others and get sold because for me, they skim the surface. It takes great patience to work your way through the layers of images and thoughts that come up and together, create the world of a single piece. It takes time to hack through the kudzu and overgrowths of twisty branches and brambles. Sometimes years to find that nest deep in the armpit of an old tree where all of this singing is coming from. How I deal with my ideas, as well as the external elements of my own life that occur as I'm creating a piece, all affect the final outcome. I have recently been using my dreams as guides for what my paintings want to say and show.

Unfinished Business

2006

9'' x 12.2''

acrylic, ink, and graphite on watercolor paper


Mimi's House with Redbug Disco Inset,

Illustration from The Last Words of My Southern Grandmother

2000

9.5'' x 13''

acrylic and ink on paper

Detail from above

(The Redbug disco)

Love and Magic

2004

8'' x 10''
acrylic on canvas

Posted by Picasa



Detail from my latest work in progress



Close-up: St. Francis's skull



Complete work measures 2.5' x 3'
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»